1919–1939 The Formation of Schools and the Rise of Clinical Science Instruction
The Preclinical Sciences at Berkeleyboth sides of the bay. In their disillusionment following the Rockefeller funding debacle, several key science faculty left UC, but the void was soon filled with more local talent. Biochemist Carl L. A. Schmidt was made chair of biochemistry and began his research into the chemistry of amino acids and proteins. With the loss, first of Jacques Loeb, and then Robert Gesell, the Physiology Department went into a period of decline. In contrast, the Department of Anatomy at Berkeley flourished under the leadership of young California-born Johns Hopkins graduate Herbert M. Evans beginning in 1915.
Evans had studied anatomy under Franklin Mall at Johns Hopkins and before returning to California had published his first work on the embryology of the vascular system. Throughout the next three decades, Evans taught an entire generation of first-year medical students the rigors of bench research. He disdained the more applied nature of gross anatomy, and, when clinicians traveled from San Francisco to teach the necessary skills to medical students, he referred to them derisively as "the hat-rack boys."
In 1930, when the Depression reached California, effectively halting any plans to construct research labs at San Francisco, a 375,000 square foot Life Sciences building was erected on the Berkeley campus, funded by a state bond issue and a WPA appropriation. This building, for its time one of the largest academic structures in the nation, provided labs and classroom space for anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, botany, and zoology, and stood as an important architectural symbol for basic biological research and instruction on the Berkeley campus.
>> Strengthening Clinical and Science Instruction at Parnassus